Monday, July 30, 2012

Abby is Packing Great Toys for the Kiddos

As my trip to Colombia is now only a few days away, the packing is officially underway! While attempting to pack for a two month trip to a country I’ve never been to has been difficult, I’ve been having a blast gathering supplies for the kids at Chiquitines. Last Friday, I spent a good half hour sitting cross-legged on the floor of Barnes and Noble browsing through Spanish children’s books. I was in Heaven. Si le Das una Galletita a un Ratón (If you Give a Mouse a Cookie)… I mean come on, how adorable is that?! I love reading children’s books in general (something I realized after working as a preschool tutor with Americorps’ Jumpstart program at Mizzou) and I find Spanish to be incredibly fascinating so children’s books + Spanish = bliss!





A few of the items I will be taking with me to Colombia: 

Contributions on my SuperKids donation page made the purchase of books and supplies possible, and I am truly grateful for that. Other items I will be bringing with me include:
  • Bubbles to target oral motor movements needed for feeding
  • Theraputty to improve developmentally appropriate grasp patterns
  • Toys with lights and sounds to target appropriate play and gross motor skills
  • Fastener boards with buttons, zippers, velcro, etc. to encourage fine motor skills needed for dressing
If you have any suggestions for other items to pack based on your experiences in similar situations (Colombia, orphanage, volunteer, etc.), feel free to send them my way. I would appreciate any input you may have!

Peace,

Abby