Thursday, August 23, 2012

Fine Motor Wednesdays

Today I relished in the fact that I was able to have a space of my own away from the hustle and bustle of the Chiquitines courtyard to work on fine motor skills with some of the toddlers. Trying to get one-year-olds to focus on tiny little finger and hand movements while they sit on a mat surrounded by the sights and sounds of a very busy environment is tough stuff! I’m happy to say I have found a weekly reprieve from the chaos: Wednesday!
On Wednesdays, the two psychology students completing practicums at Chiquitines are in class at their university, leaving their office gloriously empty. Even better, it has a little table and chairs just the right size for my little ones! After stumbling upon this bit of information earlier this week, I pounced on the open office today. Wednesdays will be fine motor days from now on – it’s amazing what you can get kids to do when you have their full attention!

 Working on sorting shapes

Goal: Pincer grasp. Getting closer 

:)

Working on self-feeding counts as fine motor too, of course!

I’m thinking the office space would also be great for some sensory exploration that these same kids really lack, so we’ll see what I can come up with for next Wednesday.

Hasta luego!

Abby