Thursday, May 2, 2013

Introducing Darla Wrage, MD


Superkids is proud to welcome Darla Wrage, MD to the team.  We are so happy to have her accompany us to China on our upcoming trip.  She brings wonderful skills to assess and improve the quality of life for all the kiddos we meet.
My name is Dr. Darla Wrage and I am thrilled to be a part of the Superkids summer trip.  I am a wife, mom of four (soon to be 5) and pediatrician.  Kids fill my day, and I love it! I have been practicing medicine for 16 years, and I consider it a privilege to work with families, observing their children grow and develop. I currently practice in Medford, Wisconsin.  I have had a heart for adoption for over 13 years.  Being a child advocate, I firmly believe that children need a forever family to love and care for them.  In 2011, my husband and I brought home our daughter from China.  We are currently in the process of adopting our 7 year old son from China and hoping to travel this fall.

During our adoption journey, I recall how we would read and re-read every detail that was written about our future daughter.  We never got tired of watching the 17 second video clip or scanning blog posts to see if we could see her in the background of someone else’s pictures.   We treasured each piece of information as we tried to develop a picture of her.  We know the feeling of receiving a translated Chinese medical summary...and wondering...how accurate is this?  What does THAT mean?!

I see my work with Superkids as an opportunity to be the eyes that see, the hands that touch, and the ears that hear these kids so that I can relay my perspective (as a pediatrician AND an adoptive mom!) to families.  Will this effort remove all of the uncertainty of an adoption?  Absolutely not!  But I believe the families will be better equipped to make decisions.

I am excited to evaluate kids in the hopes of connecting them to their forever families.  In addition, the opportunity to work with the orphanage staff to ensure the best care possible for these children will hopefully have far reaching effects - changing the children’s life experiences every day that they remain in the care of the CCCWA.