Friday, March 27, 2015

Meet the April 2015 Team {Tanna}

Hello everyone! My name is Tanna Becker, and I am so excited to be blessed with the opportunity to go to China with SuperKids! I’ll tell you a little about myself first, and then I will explain how I got connected with the program! I am a Junior in college studying Human Development and Family Studies and a minor in Leadership and Management of Non-Profit Organizations. I would love to pursue a career with an international adoption agency when I graduate from college and am also considering the possibility of going on in school to receive my Masters in Social Work. I have four siblings, and I consider my family my very best friends! 




My Aunt Darla played a role in my passion for international adoption. When my aunt and her husband began the process of adopting their daughter, Tessa, from China she introduced me to several adoption blogs. I spent hours reading through the blogs and discovering so many incredible stories of adoption (I still read these blogs today)! Just a few weeks after my aunt and uncle brought their daughter home from China I spent the summer living with their family and helping out wherever I could as they transitioned to a family of six. This experience was a huge blessing, and I discovered even more how passionate I was about adoption.



The next summer I went on a mission trip to Uganda, Africa to work and live in an orphanage for two weeks. It was honestly two of the best weeks of my life, and I truly fell in love with the country. I have now spent time in Uganda in the same orphanage for the past three summers, and my family adopted my two younger brothers from this orphanage. Frank and Vick came home ten months ago and being able to experience adoption first hand has been incredible!  


   


My Aunt Darla first introduced me to Gladney and SuperKids. I found the work she did with the SuperKids to be fascinating! With my interest in adoption she encouraged me to apply for a summer internship with Gladney, and I am excited to be the international adoption intern with Gladney this summer! 




I am thankful for the many experiences I have had with adoption, but I never would have imagined myself receiving the opportunity to go to China with Superkids! I am excited to help the team in any way I can and see adoption through a perspective of a different country!