Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Meet the April 2015 Team {Darla}

Hello from Wisconsin!  I am Darla Wrage and I am excited to be traveling to China in a few weeks.  I have been a general pediatrician for the past 18 years and this will be my third Superkids trip. I can’t wait to see those precious faces and love on those children!


For the last 15 years, my heart for adoption and China has grown.  I have loved being on this side of the ocean helping families decipher information.  As a pediatrician, it is a joy it is to be one of the first people to meet the child when he or she comes home.  After adopting our daughter in May 2011, my passion for adoption increased.  I saw the tremendous need to find families for orphans.  My dream had been to travel to China to use my medical skills to help children in orphanages, and Superkids has made that possible.  I believe the one on one interaction with a child may be life changing.  As an adoptive parent, I understand the fear of the unknown.  I am hopeful that the work that we do can allay some of those fears of prospective parents.

My role has on the team is to do a developmental assessment and medical exam of each child.  We attempt to sort through the diagnosis of the child and gather medical information from the staff. 



Outside of work, who am I?  Mom is my favorite title and a much used word in our household!  I have 5 children, with the youngest two being adopted from China.  Our children joined our family at ages 6 and 8, so we are advocates for the “special needs” of the older child.  We have a very active, involved family, so we spend time at basketball games, church activities, concerts, plays, soccer games, swim meets, etc. 



Believe it or not, I do have time for a few hobbies.  I love to cook – and because I love food, I exercise.  For years, I have been a runner, but have started competing in triathlons the past 2 years.  I am also the director of our Awana Sparks ministry at church teaching 60 kindergarten through 2nd graders.