Kathy and Pat's first day in Shanghai

We are so excite to be in China! We got up at 7:30 yesterday to exercise and try to get on China time. After breakfast, we decided to go for a grand shopping adventure at the Yu gardens bazaar. We will definitely have overweight luggage for the return trip home. We shopped, shopped and shopped, along with talking picture after picture of the gardens.

(Kathy at Yu Gardens)
The Yu garden was first established in 1559 and was constructed over a period of 20 years. It was built by Pan En for his father who was a high ranking Chinese official ,in his old age. There are many areas of the garden that are exquisite, including a Rockery( a rock garden), Lotus pool and a beautiful bridge that has many turns. We were told this is because evil spirits could not turn corners. The gardens are beautiful and we were lucky enough to have been there when the Bonsai trees were in bloom. Kathy is an avid gardener and I love Asian gardens, so it was an amazing experience. It was a little rainy and foggy so it just added to the ambience of the garden.
We also had an afternoon pick me up at Starbucks. I had to take Kathy's picture several times as her son works in Starbucks. A man stopped us wanting to know why we came all the way to China only to take pictures of Starbucks. He laughed with us when we explained.

We are eagerly anticipating going to the orphanage tomorrow. Our ex-patriot translators will meet us at the orphanage at around 9:30. We are really eager to see them again. Kathy and I are going to spend the rest of the evening reviewing the profiles of waiting children.
I think we will sleep well tonight in-spite of our afternoon nap.

Bye for now.
Pat &Kathy

3 comments

  1. Just stumbled upon your blog. I can't wait to follow your journey! Our soon-to-be-daughter is at the Shanghai orphanage and I can't wait to see a little glimpse of her life right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also just found this, and I am so glad that I did because our daughter is also waiting at the Shanghai CWI. We hope to be in Shanghai in about a month. It will be so fun to see the Yu gardens as we get to love on and know our daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be returning to the SCWI in April with our now ten year old. We can't wait!

    ReplyDelete