Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What Everyone Can Do

Last year this month I was on a plane coming home from Shanghai, China after meeting many waiting children.  These children are finally being united with their new families.  I read all the adoption blogs for these children and watch their journeys.  http://www.adoptionsbygladney.com/adoption/international/china-adoption-blogs.  These children are so brave meeting new parents and going to another country.  I watch them walk in and meet their adoptive parents in china where I have met them.  It's a funny experience to see them at the orphanage, walking around Shanghai or in the market I have been to.  The parents are so wonderful, opening their hearts to children who are older or have some special need. I feel the magic, emotion and excitement of this new beginning all through their written word.

I talk to many prospective adoptive parents once I am home. I consult with doctors and other therapists on many of the children we see on our trips.  When people ask me" what can I do to help?" I say,  Get the word out.  There are many children in orphanages or foster care in China with very mild or already resolved special needs.  I think if everyone knew how great these children are, it would make a difference.  So the number one thing you can all do is raise awareness.   

cant medical needs.  I spend as much time as I can, holding, loving and working with these children as well.  I work in the orphanage rooms and also in the rehabilitation areas to help the caregivers and therapists develop activities for these children.  They are not forgotten.  I carry each and every child in my heart.  This is something everyone can do.

There are also many children in the orphanages who have significant medical needs.  I spend as much time as I can, holding, loving and working with these children as well.  I work in the orphanage rooms and also in the rehabilitation areas to help the caregivers and therapists develop activities for these children.  They are not forgotten.  I carry each and every child in my heart.  This is something everyone can do.

Pat Marcus,
Physical Therapist