Friday, September 4, 2015

#SKSept15 Introductions {Part 1}

I asked each of  the team members traveling to China this time to introduce themselves. I'll be posting them over the next few days. Here are some of their intros in their words.  These are in no particular order, read and enjoy learning to know these wonderful people! 


Sandra


I’m very excited to have this unique opportunity to provide assistance to the team. I believe that this is time very well spent, since our work will result in fulfilling the dreams of many children who we will meet as well as future parents who have been yearning for child to love and care for.

From a professional standpoint, I have been a pediatric nurse for 30 years. I spent 20 years at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh providing direct patient care to children in a variety of acute care settings. For the last 10 years, I have been teaching pediatric nursing at the University of Hawaii (UH) at Manoa where I primarily teach at the bedside in a women and children’s hospital. I have a BSN, MSN, and PhD in nursing.

From a personal point of view, I have 5 amazing daughters. The oldest two are biological. Tiffany is the oldest and is studying to be a pediatric surgeon, and the Brittany is married and owns a business with her husband. The younger 3 girls were adopted from China. Hannah was born in Hangzhou and joined our family at 7 months of age. She is currently a freshman at UH studying elementary education. Holly was born in Changsha and also joined our family at the age of 7 months. She is in 8th grade. Heather was born in Nanning and just came to join us 10 months ago at the age of 11 years.  She is in 6th grade and adjusting beautifully. We went to China this summer for a heritage tour and had the time of our lives!

Lora


My name is Lora Offer.  I am so excited to be able to be a part of the Superkids team this year as a volunteer.  My husband and I have been married for almost 25 years.  We have a daughter who is 21,  and two sons, ages 17 and 8.  Of these, one is biological, one is domestically adopted, and one is adopted from Taiwan.  We are also in the process of adopting two children from China, a girl and a boy, ages 7 and 4, who we hope will be home this winter.  Being a part of this trip is something I have always dreamed of doing.  I can’t wait to meet all of the wonderful children that we will be able to visit while we are in China!

Mary


Mary Chapman is one Gladney’s Caseworkers in our Taiwan and China programs. She has been at Gladney for over 7 years and has worked in the Asia programs throughout her time at Gladney. Mary is the lead Caseworker for the Taiwan program, and is so excited to be traveling to Taiwan for the first time! Mary will meet up with Superkids team members, Erin, Keely, and Gongzhan in Taiwan. Mary communicates on a daily basis with the social workers at our partner agencies in Taiwan, Cathwel Service and Chung Yi Social Welfare Foundation, so she is excited to finally meet everyone in person – including many of the waiting children Gladney has been advocating for!